Monday, May 11, 2009

Bruins Rebound To Take Series Lead

Providence Drowns Sharks 4-3
May 11, 2009
by T. Chace Jr.

The Worcester Sharks were down two games to none in their previous series against Hartford, then won four straight. That scenario won't be repeated in this series against the Providence Bruins. Providence dominated the second period, netting three goals and then held on to win 4-3. That victory enabled Providence to take a 3-2 series lead as the rivals head back to Worcester for a game on Wednesday night, May 13th.

Worcester scored the only goal in the first period. The Bruins found themselves shorthanded three times in the opening stanza. The Sharks connected on their third opportunity as defenseman Patrick Traverse went high over Tuukka Rask's right shoulder for a 1-0 lead with just :38 seconds left in the first period. Dan DaSilva set up Traverse with a second assist credited to Ryan Vesce. The first period ended with a little pushing and shoving resulting in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and also had opposing coaches having words. Neither team in this series is willing to give an inch.

The second period was dominated by the Bruins, as they scored three goals on netminder Thomas Greiss to take the lead 3-1 after two periods. At 3:07, Martin St.Pierre got his 4th playoff goal on an assist from Johnny Boychuck. Rookie pest Brad Marchand scored his team leading 5th goal of the playoffs at 10:55, with assists given to Jeff Penner and Jordan Knackstedt. Captain Jeremy Reich scored after a nice pass from Wacey Rabbit at 14:08 to make the score 3-1. Defenseman Adam McQuaid also garnered an assist on the play. Providence outshot the Sharks 19-7 in the period.

The third period saw the Bruins having to withstand a Shark attack. Worcester carried the play, even hitting two posts as they swarmed the Providence end of the ice. Finally, Worcester's Jamie McGinn scored his 4th playoff goal in this series against Providence at 10:28 of the third period with an assist to Dan DaSilva. The resilient Bruins countered immediately with a score :14 seconds later by Levi Nelson, who was playing his first game in the series. Nelson scored his 1st goal on a rebound after a shot by Andrew Bodnarchuk. An assist was credited to Bruin Zach Hamill as well, giving Providence a 4-2 lead. Play got rough at the 11:43 mark and actually evolved into a battle between Bruin goaltender Tuukka Rask and Frazer McLaren.

Riley Armstrong, with an assist to Ryan Vesce, scored his 3rd playoff goal with 2:12 remaining. Armstrong scored while Worcester was employing an extra attacker on the power play, pulling Greiss from the net to try and tie the game. The Sharks would not score again. Providence hangs on, winning 4-3 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.

Providence outshot the Sharks by a 33-32 margin. The three stars of the game were Jeremy Reich, Worcester's Dan DaSilva, and Levi Nelson was the third star. Worcester connected on 3 of 5 chances with the man advantage. Providence was 1 for 4 with their chances. Game 6 is on Wednesday night, May 13th at the DCU Center in Worcester. If a Game 7 is necessary it will be played on Thursday May 14th at "The Dunk" in Providence.

No comments:

Post a Comment